Sunday, 14 October 2012

Baking Blogger...



Weekends at Uni are times where I kind of wish I was home. I get easily bored without my lectures and practical sessions every day in the week and the weekend is a nice rest, yeah but I like to stay busy else I really start to feel home-sick. So today I thought I'd be productive and bake some cakes for my first year-ers in Performing Arts. Believe it or not bloggers but this girl LOVES to bake and my mum has taught me from a very young age the difference from your bog standard Vicky Sponge to your chocolate souffles. Here is what I made...


Vanilla Malteaser Cupcakes!!
They turned out brilliantly and even with the lack of measuring scales I managed to guesstimate the measurements of my ingredients - that was lucky!

Let me show you how I did it :)

All you will need is:

220g Buuter
220g Self Raising Flour
220g Caster Sugar
4 eggs
Vanilla Essence
A dash of milk
Icing Sugar
x2 Packets of Malteasers

- Roughly £7


The first step is to pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. 
Now, cream together the caster sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Now add the eggs (pre-whisked with vanilla essence) a bit at a time so not to let the mixture curdle and to keep air in the mixture to make the cakes light!



Now, carefully fold in the flour with a metal spoon making a figure of 8 pattern in the mixture to not to allow the air to escape from the mixture. Once this step is complete add a dash of milk to make the mixture droopy and spoon into cupcake cases so they are half full.

Pop the cakes in the oven for 10-15 mins or until light golden.


Key tip: LET THE FLATMATES LICK THE BOWL.
I even think one took it into their room to polish off. Shh, I didn't notice ;)


Once out of the oven, leave to cool with a tea towel placed on top and guard closely for any greedy people!

About 30 mins later it was time to make the butter icing!
 

Now this was all pure estimation soooo Use another 1/4 of the pack of butter and put enough icing sugar in the bowl to make the butter taste really sweet. Add Vanilla Essence to make the butter icing even yummier. Now, one of the bags of malteasers I crushed using my palm and then tipped into the mixture! This made malteaser butter icing. DRIBBLE. 


Mix this all together then, using a knife, coat each cupcake with the icing and allow to set for 30 mins before placing a malteaser (from the 2nd packet) in the center of each cupcake!


And there you have it lovelies :)

Some comments I got from the flatmates were 'Oh my good lord Abbie, YES!', 'Mmmmm, mmmm, oh mmmm...' and '----' (enjoying too much to speak)...

Enjoy the recipe guys!

x Abster x


2 comments:

  1. I might make these and take them to Les Mis rehearsals on Sunday!! They look soo good x

    ReplyDelete